Ideas on chicken tricks

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by chickenz500, Sep 2, 2014.

1. chickenz500

chickenz500 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    I was wondering if anybody had an idea on different tricks that I can teach my chickens. I thought that it would be super cool if I had a trained chicken, but I'm not sure what to teach.

2. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    I have always thought it would be cool to have a chicken fly up onto my shoulder or arm. Especially, if they responded to their personal name.
    I always teach mine to come by doing their call every time I put out food. Simple, but useful if they get out of their pen.

3. chickenz500

Aug 30, 2014
    Oh wow that's cool. I have one hen that comes to her name and it is so cute! I love the idea!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There is a video somewhere on youtube of a chicken doing an agility course (tabletop) scaled down from the type dogs do in competition. The chicken is very good at it just very slow.
    Also a serama "Phillip fetches," and he does. He retrieves rubber bands and is very fast.

I know there is a lady on BYC that has clicker trained some of her chickens. You can also try the search box.

5. chickenz500

Aug 30, 2014
    Ya I was trying to train one of my chickens with the clicker but I was looking for somthing a little easier for a start. I do like the agility trained chicken though!

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Check out this video of a boy training his chickens, really cute. It is under the example list for the new BYC video contest - see home page.

Here's the link:

7. chickenz500

Aug 30, 2014
    Oh wow that's cute!

8. Hen Heaven

Hen Heaven Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2014
    Free as A Bird-

My chicken lay nee actually knows her name!!![​IMG] Her name is Laynee, and she is four years old. I say Laynee , and she squats down. Laynee!! Squats down. All the time!!! I didn't even teach her!!!

I also have an instant response to get chickens to come. I say "Here Chook Chooks!" and all 20 of them bolt across the ground!! Works so well...
    I am training my chickens how to peck a green dot. They get rewards immediately. I added 7 more and they still peck the green one!!! Only five of the chicken know. They learned in just 2 days (15 minutes).

9. chickenz500

Aug 30, 2014
    Aw, cute! My chickens do squat down too but only when I come over. I really like that idea a lot!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by