Ideas on getting humidity stable

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brandibaby23, Dec 2, 2009.

1. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    I will be setting eggs today or tom. I turned on my incubator last night to get everything ready, I can't seem to get my humidity up over 48% I put water in the wells and a damp rag but it has been on all night and this morning it is at 99 degress 47% humidity.I have an Acu-rite digital thermometer and a regular thermometer. What should be the correct humidity at set? and 3 days til hatch?

2. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    I added hot water to the wells just now and the humidity is climbing but I don't want a soggy incubator could I set the eggs on a towel or something? If the eggs were to lean up against a damp cloth would that hurt them?

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Good Morning.

It is a good idea to have at least two hygrometers to check the humidity. I use two at the same time while they are incubating so that I know how accurate and close they are. With only one, you cannot be sure it is actually working correctly. There are people who say it isn't high enough and then find out that it was wayyyy off.

However, if it is right then what I had a wonderful lady tell me is to go get those huge sponges from Walmart. I cut mine in half and then placed both in a empty Lean Cuisine tray (each one has its own tray) (wash all very very well) Give them some water and check humidity.
    With both it may go pretty high so you will need to adjust the amount of water in the sponges. The other thing I do here is have silicone tubing (bought in the fish section at petstores.)I cut a two foot section and used a large syringe to siphon water through the tubing that is inserted in the air vent in the incubator. Last hatch this worked like a charm. I use warm water when I add it and only a little. Check the humidity in about 10 minutes and add more if needed.

The nice thing about the tubing is that it is flexible so I can aim it where I want the water to go. Don't get any water on the eggs themselves.

Too much humidity isn't good either I have found. It can cause "sticky chicks"

Good luck!

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Up until day 17 47-48% humidity is fine: mine runs right at that. You've already had one suggestion for getting the humidity higher and not a bad one.

I usually just mist the eggs after day 17 to help with the humidity: do it twice a day: stop once they pip. saladin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by