Ideas on how to increase humidty

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scrambledmess, Apr 5, 2012.

1. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I placed a little giant still incubator with automatic turner in my daughter's 3rd grade class. I had no problem hatching from it last year. But apparently, the school is much drier then my house. The teacher couldn't get the humidity higher then 30%. Most of the eggs pipped, but none made it out. She had all the wells full and the red caps on the lids.

What else can be done to increase the humidity in a drier environment?

I did save the day so 20, 9 yos didn't go home for Easter break thinking all those chicks died. I snuck a couple of chicks in from TSC less then an hour ago. I will pick them back up after school. My goodness, what we do for our kids and to spread the love of chickens ;)

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The eggs didn't make it and died? Usually I think the hygrometer is out of whack when all wells are full and someone has that low of humidity but if it's been a few days and the chicks didn't zip then yeah, it was dry. Good save with the chick switch.

Any way you can get surface area of water in there will raise humidity. A wet sponge, placing a cloth partially in outer water well to wick water, put a short glass of water or two in top with eggs. The surface area of water is what does it so any means you can do that will raise humidity.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  3. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I think it was really dry. Schools usually are. I had the incubator set in my main bathroom. With 7 people showering, that room was always quite humid. But the school, not so much. I like the idea of a rag or a couple some short glasses. Thanks!

4. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington

[​IMG] The wider the area is then the more humidity you will have. try a wet washcloth or hand towel lay
    it flat

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by