Ideas on how to increase roosting area?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hokankai, Oct 23, 2010.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    So right now I have one 8 foot board that is my roosting bar, with a dropping board underneath. I'm looking for ways to increase the roosting area so that I can add one or two more chickens. Right now we have 8 in an 8x6 coop, but I think I need to add some roost space right?

here are some pictures to give an idea of what I'm working with

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    You can run one perpendicular to the one you have, either just above or just below the existing roost.

3. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    like just over the poop board, or down the side of the coop?

here's the coop layout in 2D form

[​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Could you place a couple on angles (above) on either side.. that's what I did on one side..
    The one angled at the bottom is to help them get to the upper ones... there is one right above it which sits higher than the other two roosts.

If I had it to do over again, I would have done the poop board thing.

[​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If the roost is 8' long, you might actually be fine with 10 chickens with no further modification needed, unless some of them are exceptionally uncivil with each other.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    If the roost is 8' long, you might actually be fine with 10 chickens with no further modification needed, unless some of them are exceptionally uncivil with each other.

Ok good, I'll try that first and see how it works out. I LOVE the corner idea though and will probably do that or add some perpendicular boards if necessary.

Thanks again you guys! I feel like I ask way too many questions...haha​

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Nice! [​IMG]

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:Ok good, I'll try that first and see how it works out. I LOVE the corner idea though and will probably do that or add some perpendicular boards if necessary.

Thanks again you guys! I feel like I ask way too many questions...haha

If it were'nt for questions, there'd be no BYC! Ask away!

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Why not just add short boards connecting your current roost to the wall. This will make your roost stronger and the extra birds can roost on the short pieces. Sort of like making a ladder with your wall as the second long side.

I added more to my roosts by going higher and running some diagonally in the corners. These are the favored spots for the elite.... [​IMG]

10. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    These are the favored spots for the elite.... tongue

That's EXACTLY why I'm trying to keep the roost all one height! Haha I don't want any of the more dominant girls getting bigger heads than they already have, hahaha. Plus they all like to follow each other and if they ALL can't fit...there would be a lot of pushing, shoving, and falling [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by