1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ideas on how to make a fridge into an incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WarrenHound, Dec 29, 2012.

1. WarrenHound

WarrenHound Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    texas
    my father gave me 2 non operational fridges 1 standard size and 1 mini fridge i would like to convert them into incubators as i have heard some ppl do...

my first thought is to gut the wires and drill a hole in the back of the bottom shelf and put a heater in or something to heat it....then add a thermostat.

can you recommend a way/type of heater? how would you recommend maintaining humidity? and any ideas on how to make my own turners?

ideas welcome thank you!!

2. eggorthechicken

eggorthechicken The Henabler

Apr 29, 2012
    Wayne County WV
    I would be interested to know this too as one of my frig's bit the dust. lol

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I built one out of a mini wine fridge and love it. Got some great ideas from this website and ran with it. I think if you click on my BYC name you will find my thread with my incubator on it. Good luck and happy new year...

5. WarrenHound

WarrenHound Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    texas
    thanks guys/girls =] the mini fridge i got is really nice i am curious about what to use as a heat source and thermostat though =/ still reading through your stuff though so i may get some ideas. thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by