Ideas on Stocking Chicken Medicine Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AuroraSprings, Mar 1, 2012.

1. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm new to chickens and I know when I had goats there were NUMEROUS lists of "must-haves" for medicine cabinets. But, I haven't seen any for chickens. Spill, you gurus of chickendom.

(Thanks!)

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Most of the "gurus of chickendom" dont' even have medicine cabinets for their chickens. Or only have a few things like some BluKote and wormer. For myself, I only get what I need when I need it for them. I've only 2 years experience but so far all I've ever needed was some triple antibiotic cream. And I just used what I use on myself lol.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have a alot of medicines and stuff I've NEVER used, a shelfload. I replace it whenever the expiration date rolls around. If I decide to get rid of the meds and stuff I never use...that will be the moment I'll truly need it. It would happen on a Sunday or holiday when everything shuts down around here too. That would be my luck.

5. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    How do you plan to manage your flock? Are you going to do any vaccinations?

For the price of 10 syringes at CVS, or 6 at TSC, you can get a box of 100 online.

I purchased some syringes along with some other general first aid items for the family. They also had surgical gloves cheap. Basically, with the savings on other items, I got the syringes for free.

. . . . and If I decide to become a I.V. drug addict, I'm set to go. LOL.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX

:lau I thought the same then I got some gloves and IV syringes. Those things are indeed good to have for measuring wormer or medicines if you need to. I keep them around for the cockatiels basically but I've used it to measure wormer too. And those gloves have millions of uses. Any time you don't really want your hands in something, you've got gloves.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I've had chickens for a while now and have never used any meds. If I get a sick one I cull it due to it infecting the others and the fact that if it is weak enough to get sick it will continue getting sick. I don't know what you would use syringes for? But if you have healthy stock you don't have to worry.

8. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, we already have syringes, needles, ivermectin (pour-on and oral), DE, electrolytes, gauze and tape, bandages, splints, a euthanasia chamber for babies, and a few other "basics". So far we've needed all of it at one time. We have chickens, ducks, geese, and are getting turkeys very soon. We won't be vaccinating. They are all hardy breeds and shouldn't need it to survive. I agree with dawg53, only when I ran out of something does something get TERRIBLY hurt or sick and needs immediate care. And of course ordering from Jeffers is quick but not immediate. If anyone can think of anything that isn't listed on the other lists please let me know. I'm not sure what "chicken specific" things I need.

For example, Neosporin - great for everyone UNLESS it has pain reliever in it, then its ONLY for humans.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I have a Coccidiostst [Corid}, louse powder & a hatchet. Takes care of all my chicken health care needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by