Ideas on turning a shed into a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by duck&chickencrazy, Sep 8, 2010.

1. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    I am looking for some ideas on how to turn a normal (20x12 i think) shed into a coop. Could i get some pics on how you have your coop in seperate sections, your door for the chickens to walk in and out of, and anything else you can think of. I would love to get some new fun ideas!!

here is a pic of the coop (the little blue coop), it has moved into the pen that it is sitting next to in this photo and the hut in the pen was moved out...just to give you an idea of what im working with

[​IMG]

2. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I have doors on both sides, (front and back)
    15 nesting boxes on the left.
    Night time roosts made out of 2x4's on the right.
    Next to the nesting boxes, I have a feed hanger. water is outside, but I wish I had one inside for winter.
    The new addition we added was a chicken wire wall with a door (also chicken wire) right in the middle that cuts the roost in half.
    This was really handy when I got the new babies. The hens roosted on one side and the babies got their own on the other and when I integrated them, I just opened the door.
    I have two yards.
    One on either side of the doors.
    That way the babies could run and hens could run separately.
    This also made a great transition for the hens and babies. I haven't had any fatalities or injuries due to pecking order.
    I'll try to get some pics, but my coop is not pretty. It was here when I moved in and I haven't had the money to fix it up yet, but it is big and the new yards we put on are great. My girls love them and I am accomadating about 40 chickens comfortably. Good luck!!!
    J

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    OOOOH, I think that big buiding in the back would make an awesome coop! LOL! No really, just do a search on BYC for pop doors, and anything else you may be wondering about. At least for me that seems to be the best way to see lots of different ideas and you can pick the ones you like best. There are just so many different ways...you got a pretty loaded question there. [​IMG] If you have any questions about particulars, I'd love to give you my opinion and there will be many more that will help you along. Happy building! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  4. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:I only wish i could use that barn for the birds lol...but half is for our horses and the other half is my dads workshop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by