Ideas on what breeds these 2 are?

cpcp

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013

What breed do you all think these 2 hens might be? I'm thinking the dark one might be a Barnevelder? They wandered onto our property from a neighbor and like to hang out.

welcome-byc.gif

I don't know if it's a site glitch or what, but pics aren't enlarging recently. Can you get closer pics?

The white one definitely looks mixed breed, and I have several ideas as to what. But I can't see the comb clearly enough to tell. Right off the top of my head I want to say Delaware, but you're missing the coloring on the neck for it to be a full-blooded delaware.

The one in back I can't tell at all. It's holding the wings out, so the body shape isn't clear and the comb is definitely hidden.

I agree better pics will help.

I can say the white one is not a pure Delaware, no black neck ticking and the legs should be yellow (although a laying Delaware's legs do pale). My first guess was that or a Light Sussex mix...but again no ticking around the neck.

The back black bird might be a Black Star...some have yellow legs and that would account for the red bleed through on the back...but that bird is hard to see in the photo.

Lady of McCamley

Huh...the white one is not a Delaware nor Light Sussex...not even sure now if it is a mix of that. Definitely a mix...almost looks as if it has a modified crest???? Or maybe just photo angle making it look like it.

Pretty bird. Looks like lacing to me.

Black bird could be a Dark Cornish...definitely not a Black Star.

Lady of McCamley

Back
Top Bottom