Ideas on where to raise the growing chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kritterdoc, Nov 19, 2013.

1. kritterdoc

kritterdoc Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Knoxville, TN
    I have 6 buff orpington chicks that are growing like weeds. I need to move them from my bathroom tub to either a spare bedroom where I can allow the sunrise to wake them and the sunset to put them to bed ( it's quiet and not as social a place as the living room), OR put them in the living room with me and my chicken-friendly dog where they will have more human/social interaction in the evenings within a safe pen, but lights will be on later than sunset.. I want them to be safe, happy, socialized birds, but I don't want to mess with their sleep cycle. Am I thinking too much? Any thoughts on what would be best for the chickies? They are 9 days old, and I plan to move them with their EcoGlow this weekend to a larger space, just trying to weigh pros and cons of each option. This is my first hatch, and I can't believe how much fun this is, and how much I love them!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You're thinking too much lol. Sleep cycles don't matter to chicks, they often are lit 24/7 and do just fine. Put them where ever is good for you.

3. kritterdoc

Nov 4, 2013
    Knoxville, TN
    Thank you! I tend to over think, but don't want to "should" on myself later! :)

4. PineShavings

PineShavings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex
    Ha, your chicks are lucky to have you as their mother!:jumpy

5. kritterdoc

Nov 4, 2013
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm trying to be a good mama hen. :) I happened to read where folks were discouraging the use of regular bulbs vs the red heat lamp bulbs, mentioning screwing up their diurnal schedule or some such thing. And, I see how when the sun goes down, they are under their EcoGlow for the entire night, just like clockwork unless I go in to peek at them and then they come out chirping. I think waaaay too much, but it's how I roll! I even have a Dropcam set up so I can check on them during the day while I'm at work. My friends/family are certain I'm nuts, though most are used to my antics, but you'd better believe even my most anti-chicken friends tuned in to the Chicken Cam all day while they hatched! Great fun.

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Have fun with your babies and trust your instincts. I'm sure they will do just fine. Congratulations on your first babies. Once your bitten by the "chicken bug" you will likely want more and more!! I just love my girls and can't believe how much joy they bring into my life!! People without chickens just don't understand. . Chickens are much more than just a bird. They are family! Each one with their own distinctive personality!! I thank God for my girls!! They bring such happiness into my life!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by