Ideas on which 'Black' crested breed these babies might be...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlilSassy, Jun 27, 2016.

1. AlilSassy

AlilSassy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2016
    California
    A "help ID" post... I have looked, and looked, and looked again... These chicks don't look much like the pics I see online...but like a few of the illustrations that some hatcheries use. My feed store uses Ideal, sometimes a local op by the name of Belt too, but they have standard laying or meat birds, so doubtful... These are about 12 days old now, black, yellow bellies, white flight feathers for 3 of the four and poofy cheeks, and look like they may have a bit of extra fuzz to indicate possible beard... Those poofs are a tint of grey, along with mottling on the tops/sides of their heads which stand up taller than surrounding fuzz. They also have the various crested breeds nostrils. They were added to the bins at the same time as the rest of the polish, and Ideal Hatchery has "Crested Special" which I assume these are apart of. Sold as "crested". Here's a slough of pics. Oh ya, they have black and pink legs/feet currently, 4 toes, clean legs. Only reason I haven't just assumed Houdan. Thanks for any ideas in advance [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Could they be Black Crevecoeurs?

~Alex

3. AlilSassy

May 19, 2016
    California
    I was thinkin that initially... But the mottled grey/yellowish almost (in spots) fuzzy tufts are throwing me. From what I seen of chick picks the Creve's seem pretty straight forward black...and very obvious tufts early on like Polish. Would love if someone had picks of Creve's they raised from at least 3 day olds that might have this mottling. I would be happy if they are Creve's, since it's a French breed :)

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Could be a variety of Polish, Crevecoeur, or a Houdan.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

6. AlilSassy

May 19, 2016
    California
    As in mixed breed of a couple of the three?

7. bunsnpupsnchick

bunsnpupsnchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Crevecoeur, judging from my Sapphire. The 1st pic is the chick I picked up from my feedstore, who's supplied by ideal, 2 months ago. The 2nd pick is her now. They'll darken & any white on the wings will darken/grow out too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    They are Crevecours. Sadly, I'm not seeing any photos of mine as chicks, but they where not solid black. Most black fowl hatch with some white down. Just as

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  9. AlilSassy

May 19, 2016
    California
    Cool, good to know. I was pretty set on Creve's at this point, they just have so much light fuzz that it is throwing me off. They are starting to get black quills on their heads now, so that is reassuring. I wanted rares, looks like I found them. :) Critically Endangered n all according to the livestock conservancy. Thanks.

10. bunsnpupsnchick

bunsnpupsnchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Be careful of the heat...I put mine outside & she was the only one who had trouble initially. I think they're more sensitive until they acclimate to it. I had to bring her in for a few days til she was back to normal. I even started them outside for just a few hours at a time..with ice bottles, etc. then brought them in until they worked up to all day for a few days then they started spending the night outside too. Once she was back outside I had to dip her in cool water every afternoon for a few days. Them getting the hang of the mister (walking thru it) & standing in dishpans of shallow water really made things better.

Enjoy the babies...Sapphire's nice, bit flighty, but once I start petting her she begins to settle. Not overly thrilled with being picked up, but that could be her....been that way from day one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by