Ideas Please

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by StarLover21, Nov 22, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Okay, I have no idea where this goes so I'm putting it here. I'm looking for a project to do involving chickens- I'm a girl scout, and I'm trying to earn a award. Any ideas?

I've gotten ideas below about research projects...but what i'm looking for is more of a project to help chickens or something.Like rescuing ex battery hens, or something.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Do a project on the life cycle of the developement of the egg from how it is made to how it becomes a chick. This is a great place to research it.

3. Symboline

Symboline Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Great idea...
    Quote:

4. TechnoCat

TechnoCat Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2011
    Wherever Angel is~
    another suggestion- try researcing how the breed of chicken started. Did they come from turkeys? Falcons? Birds, even?

5. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    these are great ideas, also, you could do the physiology of the hen as it pertains to egg laying.
    Or, you could do a basic manual for a home laying flock from chicks to laying hens. Good luck!

6. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Hmm...well, it's supposed to me more of a 'doing something project,' not a research project. Does that make any sense? Like rescuing a battery hen, or something like that. Thanks!

7. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Have you ever heard the terms - "pecking order" or "cock sure of himself"?? What about looking at the behaviour of chickens within a flock), e.g. the pecking order, and why it's necessary and how it works. What about comparing chickens to other birds - e.g. homing/racing pigeons, turkeys, crows and look at similarities and differences? Or look at how chicks learn from their mother - scratching, eating, roosting, etc.

8. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

research what came first the chicken or the egg [​IMG]

9. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    anyone else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by