1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ideas to help my girl??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TNDouglassFam, Oct 20, 2016.

1. TNDouglassFam

TNDouglassFam New Egg

Oct 8, 2015
    My Rhode Island Red has had an area on her wing that has been without feathers with red, irrited skin for MONTHS. Feathers look like they want to grow but are stuck/ingrown. Any ideas? It looks painful. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. ownedbymybird

ownedbymybird Just Hatched

Oct 10, 2016
    Take her to the vet.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

That does look painful. Do you know what happened to them? If they were polled out they won't grow back in until molt. How old is your bird? How many other birds do you have? Are your other birds pecking at the area? If so you can apply Blu Kote. Red invite pecking and if they start they could peck her to death. Have you check for mites or other parasite?

4. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    I ditto EggSighted4Lifes Questions!

[​IMG] from NE Kansas!

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Many people cannot afford a vet. And not all vets are avian. Of course a vet is a good ideal, but what happens when you take them and spend the money only to have no more information than you already did? $45 for a visit here, not including tests or meds. Mine is an avian vet. But with 50 birds, you educate yourself and treat accordingly! Not a single one of my birds will go to the vet.... Can't spend hundreds of $ on one and tell the next one "sorry I'm broke". All my birds have a good life and are healthy. They will live the good life until the day they are butchered. And until then, I enjoy everyday we have together. [​IMG]

Best wishes!

1 person likes this.
  6. TNDouglassFam

TNDouglassFam New Egg

Oct 8, 2015
    Thanks everyone for your quick replies! She is unfortunately one that is at the low-end of the pecking order, so she does get pecked quite a bit. However, she has been lucky in that no one has made that area bleed! We did a check of the coop and birds and we have no sign of mites so hopefully, we will see some regrowth after this fall molting. Since I haven't had this issue before, I was under the impression that they would grow back as soon as they were pulled out… So thank you for clearing this up for me! :)

7. ownedbymybird

ownedbymybird Just Hatched

Oct 10, 2016
    Yeah vet care is expensive. Sadly [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by