Ideas to keep bird from laying from roost.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AnaD, Jun 6, 2011.

1. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    My RSL has been laying for almost a week. She had two good eggs in a nest box but now I keep finding them beneath the roost. I have two nest boxes for 6 chickens only 4 are laying yet. I added another nest box (yesterday) thinking that maybe she was either bullied out of a nest box or they were already occupied, but this morning I found her egg on the floor again.
    Does anyone have any ideas of how I can stop her from doing this?

2. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    You definetely have enough nest boxes: 1 is recommended per 4-5 hens. I would try putting golf balls in the nests, or locking her in one for a day.

3. AnaD

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    yep, I have had the golf balls in place since the became mature enough to lay.

4. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    Other Hen(creative name, eh?...[​IMG]), one of our BR/BO crosses is doing the same thing...I have caught her setting under the the roost 3 or 4 times now and have physically moved her to one of the boxes each time, but she just goes back as soon as I leave the coop... only one of our other hens gets pushy about the nest box she claims as hers, but with 3 20 gal totes for nest boxes, and all the other hens not having a problem with sharing(even as far as 3 nesting in one box at the same time), I am not sure why Other Hen has decide the manure under the roost is a more suitable spot... I am gonna try closing off the area under the roost temporarily with some chicken wire , and see if she decides that the nest boxes are good enough for her eggs...

5. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Sometimes new layers do that. It's normal and I'll bet with time she'll get the hang of laying in the box. Be patient with her.

Don't lock her in a nesting box- all you're going to do is freak out your chicken.

6. AnaD

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Quote:AAA! It never would have crossed my mind to do so! LOL

7. GreenGables

GreenGables Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    I have an Australorp that laid eggs from the roost when she first started laying eggs. At first she laid in the nest box but after that I would find an egg on the floor under the roost. This happened several times. This was a passing stage. She now lays her eggs only in the nest boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by