ideas to keep water from freezing....electricity 100 feet away

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kids and Chicks, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Kids and Chicks

Kids and Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    This is our first winter with our very small flock and I'm trying to figure out how to keep their water from freezing. Winters in Colorado can be very mild one day with temps in the 50s and highs in the single digits the next day.

My husband is thinking about running an extension cord the 100 feet from the house to the coop. I'm not sure how safe this is.

Right now I'm bringing the water in the garage at night and back out in the morning. Today the high was in the 20s so I had to keep running warm water outside to keep their water flowing. That's not going to work everyday. Right now we have a two gallon galvanized can for them.

Any tried ideas would be great.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I run an extension farther than that. It's either that or much labor.
    The major danger is more from precipitation tripping the GFCI and losing power than from an electrical fire.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Just for giggles, give them crushed ice like used for snow cones.

4. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

We run an extension cord. You can buy covers for where two cords join if you are worried about moisture getting into the connections & causing issues. Been running a cord for going on 5 years and so far it has worked great.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    All right. Being serious. Provide ice as pieces that are more easily ingested. My birds clearly work at breaking loose pieces off for ingestion and do so at rates sufficient to meet water needs. It also provides a little mental stimulation that confined birds are often starved for.

6. Huntered

Huntered Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2013
    Berks Co,Pa
    If you are going to run a cord that far make sure you use a good heavy cord and make sure its on a GFI receptecale.You shouldnot a any problems.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I just carry a pitcher of warm water to them at least twice a day to thaw out the black rubber tub. No worry about fire and I'm out there anyway.

8. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Here is a video with good ideas. The idea about keeping water from freezing is toward the end of the video.

You can also get a plug-in thermostat at the hardware store. This will reduce the electricity you use.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by