ideas

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fowlsessed, Nov 20, 2011.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I need an alternative to cleaning out my button quail bins! It's always a stressfull experiance for my birds and a hectic one for me. Is this just part of keeping button quail or is there an easier way, since they say not to keep them on wire. thanks

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    How many do you have and how are they housed? What type of bedding are you using?

3. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
  4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Like you, I only have a few right now.

I am catching them and putting them in a holding cage so I can clean. I only have 4 babies right now in a 10gal.. and one pair in a cage.
    The ones in the larger cage I just work around. Yes, they don't like it... but neither do the other birds in with them. lol...

I would suggest you try using the pine pellets that has been suggest in various threads.
    I switched to them recently, and love them! The 4 babies have gone almost a week with no odor, and it's still pretty clean.. By babies, I mean several weeks old and feathered out.. not tiny ones.

I put grass clippings in one half of the cage for a soft place to lay and they love it.

If you don't want to remove them to clean...I would work slowly around them. They're not happy, but there's not much you can do.. They are flighty by nature. open the top just enough to get your hand in... and cover the rest of the opening with a towel to prevent escapes. That's how I feed and water.

Your best bet is to find a good absorbent bedding so you can clean less often.

5. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I use grass as nesting stuff for my Coturnix, they love it

6. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I had buttons for a while but they drove me CRAZY, so flighty. I had several escape by flying out when I opened the lid or door and then I had quite a few hit their heads by jumping up breaking their necks, needless to say I got out of the "button business" very quickly lol

I now keep Coturnix and I like them, they are very entertaining and they are not really flighty. I can put my hand in their pens and they just walk away from my hand.

7. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    So I'm not the only one who uses grass clipings. lol. Thanks for the advice.

8. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Yes, I also have coturnix. Much friendlier. If I were going to get a pet quail I would choose a coturnix over button hands down.
    Quote:

9. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I'm selling my button quail, three trios. For anyone near Cleveland Tn. $15 a trio obo.

10. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    good play lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by