1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ideas?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Amber Greene, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Amber Greene

Amber Greene New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    I am almost in tears. I went to see my chickens today and I am missing 13+ Russian Orloffs and my Silkie hen. The 3 options that we've come up with is 1. Someone took them. 2. The somehow managed to get out, there is a screen window (it's an old double wide trailer we turned into a chicken coop) and the screen busted out, but even then, there's a cement wall on the outside of the window, the gap is about 6" wide. 3. A opossum or something got in there and killed them, but I can't find any possible way something could have got in there except that window with the screen, but I don't think a opossum or something could scale a wall of a trailer?

What do yall think? I'm at a loss and now I am crying. I have 7 Russian Orloffs, 1 Silkie, and 4 Polish left in there. My uncle also had 5 Americaunas up there too. I checked everywhere around that building and there's no trace of them, no feathers, poop, blood, anything. People are always around there (strangers) so it's highly likely someone could steal the chickens and no one would notice until they went to feed. It's not locked or anything, which I'm regretting now. It's between two garages so we get A LOT of strangers coming and going. What are the chances of a predator taking that many chickens in one day/night? It's probably stupid but this is how I feel right now [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    No blood, no guts, no feathers...definitely not a 4 legged predator. It's humans stealing your chickens. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to protect them!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree with dawg sounds like someone stole them.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Time for a padlock. I am sorry for your losses. You must be devastated.

5. Amber Greene

Amber Greene New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    Yeah, it stinks. I was all to pieces about it yesterday and kinda still am today, mostly just angry. I hope they're okay, they were my pets pretty much. They'd follow me around the yard and run up to me everytime they'd see me. My little cousins (1-6 year olds) would carry them around and they'd follow them around the yard, driveway, house, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by