Identification Bands

Argus

Songster
Jul 10, 2015
Northeast Ohio
We've started planning for spring and decided to get organized. As we discussed breeding pairs it became apparent we have too many birds to keep straight and tell apart with accuracy.

First thing we did was write up everything we knew about each bird's history and made it accessible on all of our phones, tablets and computers. Now we need a way to identify each bird quickly and accurately.

Can anyone recommend leg bands? Things to look for / avoid? The health and safety of the birds is the most important thing of course. After that we would prefer a colored band we could see without having to catch them to read. We don't mind having to replace or resize them each winter, but longer lasting would be better.

Thanks in advance!

When I worked as an electrition at Cessna I would use special ones in the engine compartment that were for high heat use. I have no idea where to get them now, maybe WW Granger. The colored ones are more fanciful and I don't believe for extreme use. The tear away ones are definitely out. We have a farm store nearby, ok within an hour drive, that have colored ones that are marked on the bag for outdoor use, and some that say for indoor use. I believe it is the UV resistance that makes the difference.

@zazouse has some information on leg bands, she will chime in here shortly.

I just use colored spirals, one leg for the year color and the other for what pen they come from usually signified by multipal colors. Like Purple and Black for Purple Black Shoulder. Black and white for IBBSWE pen, etc.:

If you use zip ties make sure they are rated for outdoor use.  Even the ones for outdoor use will break off, but the ones for indoor use won't last very long at all.

Great point,
1f44d.png

Back
Top Bottom