Identification help, Please.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RtSixtySixChix, Nov 10, 2011.

1. RtSixtySixChix

RtSixtySixChix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Westmoreland County, PA
    These were a surprise gift from my BIL. The little one, he slipped in with my flock while I was sleeping. And when he found I had put her in this dog crate until she's a wee bit bigger, he brought her(?) older hatch mate to keep her company. He said they were Aracauna but I don't think so.

[​IMG]

Thanks folks! ~MT [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Possibly Easter Eggers? It looks like they have greenish legs. Definitely not Araucana or Ameraucana.

3. RtSixtySixChix

Sep 16, 2011
    Westmoreland County, PA
    Yes, you're right. Their legs are greenish looking. Good eye![​IMG]

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    So, is this how a person unloads their unwanted cockerels? Go under cover of darkness and pop them in with an existing flock? [​IMG] I hope that both are girls but the small one looks iffy to me. And yes, they look very much like Easter Eggers.

5. RtSixtySixChix

Sep 16, 2011
    Westmoreland County, PA
    Quote:I know! but because he is the owner of the property, he gives and TAKES as he sees fit. It's a bit unnerving at times...but I darest not say anymore...[​IMG]

How can you tell at this young age if they are cockerels or hens?

thanks
    ~MT

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Quote:I know! but because he is the owner of the property, he gives and TAKES as he sees fit. It's a bit unnerving at times...but I darest not say anymore...[​IMG]

How can you tell at this young age if they are cockerels or hens?

thanks
    ~MT

Well, sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. I just said it looks iffy because the patterning is a bit splotchy. If any dark red-brown starts showing up in the wing bows or back, you'll know it's a boy.

7. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Try looking to see if they have one- or three-row combs. I've read that if an EE has a three-row pea comb, it is probably a male and if it has a one- row pea comb, it is a female. I found it to be correct with our two EE's; although, it would help if I had more experience to see if it were truly dependable. I hope this helps and those are gorgeous birds! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by