Identifing day old chick breeds - short video clips from Mc Murray

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GardeNerd, Jan 14, 2011.

1. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I came across Murray Mc Murray's youtube channel. They had lots of helpful videos and I especially enjoyed looking at some of the breeds they featured with their "pop up" tutorial for how to identify them as day old chicks. I think it would be helpful to anyone trying to identify mystery chicks in an assortment.

Above is a link to one breed, but from there you can find many more breeds from the list below with videos on how to tell what the are:
    Light Brahma Bantam
    Dark Cornish Bantams
    Dark Brahma Bantams
    Egyptian Fayoumis
    Columbian Wyandotte
    Mottled Houdan
    White Cornish Bantam
    Golden Penciled Hamburg
    Light Brahma
    Buff Brahma
    Buff Minorca
    Golden Laced Cochin
    Mille Fleur Bantam
    Golden Campines
    Golden Laced Wyandotte
    Barred Cochin Bantams
    Crevecoeur
    Dark Brahma Bantams
    Dominque
    Dark Cornish
    Lakenvelder
    Black Jersey Giants
    New Hampshire Red
    Golden Polish
    Cornish Roaster
    Golden Sebright
    Buff Orpington
    Mottled Cochin Bantams
    Modern Black Breasted Red Game
    Black Cochin Bantams
    Ancona
    Araucana Bantams (Easter Eggers)
    Araucana (Easter Eggers)
    Barred Rock
    Blue Cochin Bantams
    Buff Brahma Bantams
    Blue Cochins
    Buff Silkie Bantams
    Black Australorp
    Black Cochin
    Black Minorca
    Buff Laced Polish
    Black Rose Comb Bantam
    Black Silkie Bantam
    Buff Cochin
    Buff Rock
    Blue Silkie Bantam

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Hah, sorry to say but it is doubtful it will help. For one, their "Araucanas" and "Araucana bantams" are Easter Eggers. Way to go Mcmurray, the least you could have done was called them "Ameraucanas" [​IMG]

Also, often people still get all the black, mottled, and barred chicks confused at this age. It helps better for people to guide them instead of a hatchery showing a video of some chicks. People still need confirmation on traits like leg color, comb type, etc.

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Great link! It is very informative an can be a great resource to help beginners figure out the different breeds they have. (especially those who order the barnyard specials) Thank you for sharing.

4. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    tHANKS FOR THE CLIP IT IS ALWAYS NICE TO SEE THE CHICKS(HATCHERY) QUALITY BECASUE THAT IS WHAT ALOT OF US HAVE AND THEY LOOK SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT THAN SOME OTHERS.. AND LETS FACE IT, THEY CALL THEM ARCAUNAS AND AMERICAUNAS AND EE BECAUSE WELL I THINK THEY ARENT SURE.. EXCEPT MY PET CHICKEN THEY CALL THEM EE..THANKS AGAIN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by