Identify an "assorted" duck? :) Indian Runner? Call?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Silkiebawkbawk, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Silkiebawkbawk

Silkiebawkbawk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Laveen, AZ
    Well, I caved in and bought a duck from the feed store.. I planned to only go in and get a lunge whip.. And came out with 2 chicks and a duck, so I think I did well. [​IMG]

This store rarely carries ducks, so I was super excited to see what they did get in. The sign said "Assorted Ducks" but they all appeared to be the same breed. All were the same color and build.

So what do you think Basil is? My infantile guess is a Call Duck? Maybe indian runner? I'll be picking up a Toulouse gosling next weekend for her. Hopefully they'll be about the same size since she'll have a week advance on the goose. :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. Lovely Emily

Lovely Emily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Basil isn't a Runner, but my guess is that Basil is a Campbell (dark or khaki).

3. Silkiebawkbawk

Jun 30, 2011
    Laveen, AZ

Cool, thank you! I've had a pekin and indian runner before.. But never a campbell. *off to research* :D

4. we have had Khakis all the time (I hate them, i want runners but my sister wont let me) they're friendly, i just dont like them, for no reason really i guess

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Looks like a Khaki, nothing says call duck at all. Calls aren't shipped from major hatcheries and are much smaller. We have khakis and they are wonderful layers and excellent buggers. Not to mention they follow us around talking away trying to see what we are doing.

6. Silkiebawkbawk

Jun 30, 2011
    Laveen, AZ

Ah, yea, I had no idea.. She just seemed smallish like a Call duck... That was my only point of reference. I know, kind of like seeing a little person and assuming they were a doll. :)

How do the egg laying capabilities compare with Campbells and Indian Runners? I had a wonderful indian runner who would lay religiously for me. Until a dog got her and my pekin drake. [​IMG] I actually have their very last two eggs set under a broodie silkie hen right now. Hoping those two hatch for me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by