Identify Chicken X, AKA Not My Chicken

haramis

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 5, 2014
Last night around dusk someone knocked on my door and asked if I kept chickens, I said yes, and he told me my chicken was loose. We have three hens at the moment and our BLRW Daydream is quite an escape artist, but I was baffled how she'd manage to hop the fence (a feat she's only managed in the past by ascending out of the coop first, and the top was definitely closed). It turned out that one alleyway and one street over, a couple of ladies were walking, and saw a sweet-tempered chicken wandering on its own. One of them happened to be the wife of my pool repair man, who of course knew that we keep chickens. After wandering around in the neighborhood in the semi-dark looking for each other, it occurred to me to make sure that other hens were okay, and I discovered three hens tucked into the top of the coop, as they should be at that time of night. Right after, that I finally met Chicken X, and confirmed that it was not my bird. I have a isolation coop, so I put X in there with food and water and posted an ad on Craigslist that I had found a chicken at our location (no replies yet).

This morning I took X out of the coop to free range and try to snap a few pictures in the light of day. As X is not my chicken, I do not know the age, breed, or sex. X is however very vocal, but not precisely crowing. My recently deceased Barred Plymouth Rock was a very vocal chicken, so I know hens can be noisy, but given that I do not know this chicken, it dawned on me very quickly that it could be a still developing rooster. They are not allowed in the city limits, and if is the case, I'll likely turn X over to animal control, assuming X's owners never turn up. My best guess would be that X was raised by hand as a chick, as X is very friendly with humans.

Here are the most identifiable traits of Chicken X:

-Smallish single comb
-Beard that extends to ear tufts
-Feathered feet

So here's the question: What's the best guess on age and breed of this bird, and do I have a burgeoning rooster? My best guess on the breed is an easter egger since I understand they have both tufts and (occasionally) feathered feet.

And case anyone cares, these are the ones that are my chickens:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
That would be comforting. I'd much rather watch after someone's hen then harbor someone's rooster. Here's one more picture I forgot to add before, a top down shot.

Sounds like everyone is pretty well agreed. Good enough for me. I still haven't had any luck locating her owners. I may try going door to door on the street she was found on, but for now she's got the basics. My husband wants to keep her so he can tell people we have a chicken from the streets.

Last night around dusk someone knocked on my door and asked if I kept chickens, I said yes, and he told me my chicken was loose. We have three hens at the moment and our BLRW Daydream is quite an escape artist, but I was baffled how she'd manage to hop the fence (a feat she's only managed in the past by ascending out of the coop first, and the top was definitely closed). It turned out that one alleyway and one street over, a couple of ladies were walking, and saw a sweet-tempered chicken wandering on its own. One of them happened to be the wife of my pool repair man, who of course knew that we keep chickens. After wandering around in the neighborhood in the semi-dark looking for each other, it occurred to me to make sure that other hens were okay, and I discovered three hens tucked into the top of the coop, as they should be at that time of night. Right after, that I finally met Chicken X, and confirmed that it was not my bird. I have a isolation coop, so I put X in there with food and water and posted an ad on Craigslist that I had found a chicken at our location (no replies yet). This morning I took X out of the coop to free range and try to snap a few pictures in the light of day. As X is not my chicken, I do not know the age, breed, or sex. X is however very vocal, but not precisely crowing. My recently deceased Barred Plymouth Rock was a very vocal chicken, so I know hens can be noisy, but given that I do not know this chicken, it dawned on me very quickly that it could be a still developing rooster. They are not allowed in the city limits, and if is the case, I'll likely turn X over to animal control, assuming X's owners never turn up. My best guess would be that X was raised by hand as a chick, as X is very friendly with humans. Here are the most identifiable traits of Chicken X: -Smallish single comb -Beard that extends to ear tufts -Feathered feet So here's the question: What's the best guess on age and breed of this bird, and do I have a burgeoning rooster? My best guess on the breed is an easter egger since I understand they have both tufts and (occasionally) feathered feet. And case anyone cares, these are the ones that are my chickens: Thanks in advance for any help!
Is it an isbar? They lay green eggs

Agree on hatchery Faverolles pullet. She should have 5 toes, also. You'd sure think someone would be missing her! But if not, at least rest assured she's a layer, not a crower.

Back
Top Bottom