Identify Hens???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by asorensen, Mar 17, 2011.

1. asorensen

asorensen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2011
    Milton, Florida
    I was given these two hens and the lady said that the black & white one is a cuckoo Maran and the Black one is a Black Maran. I have looked at pictures and I am not sure. I would appreciate any input. Oh, one of them does lay pretty dark eggs and I am going to seperate them tomorrow and see who it is. I think it is the black and white one but then what the heck is the black hen if that is the case? Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    The hen on the far left could indeed be a Cuckoo Marans. She looks like the hen I had, very long ago.

The "black" one isn't black at all. See the "ghost barring"? Not sure about her... she's probably a mix, or could be a very messed up/low quality cuckoo.

And that's a super cute EE hen there in the corner [​IMG]

3. asorensen

Feb 9, 2011
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:Ok I have a correction to make I just realized the black chicken is not a hen, it has spurs so does that make a difference in what it might be? OOOPS! LOL

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    spurs don't make it a roo...look for hackle and saddle feathers

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    could,might be ee X marans to make olive eggers mayhaps?

6. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    that is not a roo. the color of the legs makes me think cuckoo marans, the third looks EEish

7. hookedonpigeons

hookedonpigeons Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Rural Hall, NC
    The blackish looking one looks like a Astrolorp Barred rock mix.

8. asorensen

Feb 9, 2011
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:Well if it is a hen, which I thought in the beginning the eggs I thought were hers are a dark brown, not as dark as the black & white one (I was told she is a Cuckoo Maran from the people I got her from) but the same people said they thought the black one was a Black Maran... The black & white one lays fairly dark eggs with a few darker speckles on it and the black one lays eggs that have no spots but are almost as dark as the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by