Identify my hens! Javas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LesB, Jan 3, 2017.

1. LesB

LesB New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Hi chicken experts! I bought what were supposed to be Americauna chicks from the feed store and they were darling little chipmunks like the Americaunas I raised twice before. They have since grown into lovely small hens and are laying bantam-sized white eggs. One of the three was a roo I had to rehome with magnificent, long irredentist green tail feathers. Like the hens, he was a small guy, almost bantam size. I know Americaunas can vary tremendously but think these are something else. Thoughts?[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Silver Phoenix. Pretty bird!

3. LesB

LesB New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    That's them alright. The descriptions I read match their sweet temperaments too. Thanks BantamLover!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

What an awesome find from a feed store! How come I never wind up with something like that?

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Agree what good luck.

Just so you know, as you will be corrected about this by someone eventually, there is no such breed as Americana. The breed is Ameraucana, and you won't find that at a feed store but only reputable breeders.

What you find mislabeled in the feed store are correctly known as Easter Eggers.

Here's a good article on the differences. Why does it matter? Because Ameraucana are rarer and carry the genetics for blue egg shells. EE's are hybrid mixes that only have half the genetics for blue egg shells so do not breed forward true and can lay just about any color of egg. That matters if you pay for blue egg genetics and don't get them.

Enjoy your lovely Silver Phoenix.

LofMc

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

6. LesB

LesB New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Thanks LofMc! I know what I've had to be EEs but since they were called Ameraucanas (or some made-up spelling) by the feed store, I referred to them that way. When I said I thought these new pullets were something else, everybody kept insisting that Ameraucanas vary greatly. I suspect what they meant was that EEs vary a lot because they are not a true breed. Right? Anyway, fun to have these lovely smart little birds, even though I would not have chosen them for the eggs. They love my husband and fetch him when food needs a refill. One of them even approached him yesterday, entering the cottage bathroom he was tiling, and basically asked him to pick her up.

7. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC!!!

Wow, you are lucky to get Silver Phoenix from your feed store![​IMG] She is very beautiful, by the way.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    what luck. Hurry and buy lotto tickets - [​IMG]

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon

I fully enjoyed my EE's, and yes, those vary a LOT.

True Ameraucanas do not. There are only 8 accepted colors and they have to closely fit the standard to be considered an Ameraucana.

LofMc

10. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by