identify the breed plz!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hamza hensCoop, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Hamza hensCoop

Hamza hensCoop New Egg

Nov 27, 2016
    [​IMG]please tell me her breed

And when she start laying

[​IMG]

Identify her age Also![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    I'm not sure on her breed, but she could be anywhere from 20-24 weeks old with her comb already turning red. She should be right at point of lay; eggs anytime within the next month, possibly.

You should be able to measure the width between her legs to gauge how close she is; two finger widths or more distance between the legs should tell whether she is mature or not :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm guessing she's an off type EE, based on the partridge body, and the slate colored legs. Let us know what color egg she lays. Pretty girl.

4. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    Agree with lazy gardner. Once she lays egg it'll be easier

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Between the pelvic points....... not the legs(unless this is something new [or old] that I haven't heard about.

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

She doesn't look like an EE to me, light colored legs, no beard or muff, single comb.
    Nothing in the pic for reference but she looks small, maybe bantam<shrugs> maybe some game bird in her??

6. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Lol @aart are you calling me old? :p

I guess I need to be more "politically correct" but yeah, that's pretty much what I meant.

I won't tell mom you called her "old" by her old methods of telling the "lady hens" apart from the "girl hens" by watching them run away and gauging how wide apart their legs were; probably easier for her than chasing all the hens around and having to prod each one in the "nether region" just to find out she'd been catching the same hen over and over hahaha :D

Ok, yeah, I'm old :p

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    haha no meant old technique...guess it follows that if the pelvic points are wider the legs would be too,
    but I've always read to actually touch the pelvic points up on both sides of the vent.

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Looks like a Dutch Game bantam to me. Slightly similar to a brown red pattern.

9. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    I am really curious of the breed though, she bears a slight resemblance to my Buttercups.. If you find out what breed they are @Hamza hensCoop, do update for me? Is she flighty or fairly docile?

10. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

I still haven't had the luxury of probing them, quite honestly lol, but I can see where the pelvic points would be closer in range to age...

Now I need to go catch and probe a questioning hen :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by