1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Identify these babies!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TurtleChick, Oct 3, 2007.

1. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    Hello all! After lurking here for a little over a month, I'm happy to saayyyyyyyyyyyy - OUR CHICKS ARE HERE! [​IMG]

I found this (fabulous!) site right after I ordered them from My Pet Chicken. I ordered 1 RIR, 1 Ameraucana (icana, acauna.... er.... Easter Egger!), and 1 Red Star (all hens!). Our official goal being nice pets who lay great eggs! However, when I opened the box (peep peep PEEP PEEP), I have 4 of the cutest chicks I've ever seen! This wasn't an altogether unexpected thing, as it seems to be the norm rather than the exception to have an extra or two in such small orders. Fine with me! I'm an addict already!!!

BUT! Can you guys help me decide what I got??? I can tell the little EE for sure (she's got the cutest ever cheek puffs...), and I'm fairly certain that the dark red girl is a RIR. It's the two strawberry blondes that have me confused... The pics I've seen (feather and mcmurray sites) of little sex-links and Red Stars seem like the girls are very cinammon-y and the boys are very blond... I don't know that it translates very well in the pics I got of the little wigglers, but mine are a golden blond with little bits of strawberry around their wings (and one has the strawberry "chipmunk" stripes down it's back and some on "her" head). The little wing feathers that are coming in are white (gasp!) on both of them, and I expected them to be red... Are these Red Star hens??? Roosters??? (please no, please!) Or are they something else entirely????

mystery chick
    [​IMG]

mystery chick
    [​IMG]

EE (cute!)
    [​IMG]

RIR (sorry this is a horrid pic, she wouldn't hold still!!!)
    [​IMG]

hey! quit eating your poop!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Thank you guys so much for any input!!! Many more posts to come from me, now that I've upgraded my status from "lurker" to poster!
    [​IMG]
    Kim

2. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    My guess would be that you got an extra red star pullet. Of course, you can't tell sex at this age from pictures (or at least *I* can't [​IMG] ), but if you order all pullets, My Pet Chicken will generally send you all pullets, unless they've made a mistake in sexing. That's very rare.

Most hatcheries, and My Pet Chicken included, will send an extra chick or two of a variety you ordered. In the early spring, some hatcheries will pack in lots of cockerels, or they used to, "for warmth." That shouldn't be an issue with My Pet Chicken, and certainly not at this time of year.

Enjoy your pretty babies!

3. nu2chixinmo

nu2chixinmo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2007
    Sturgeon, MO
    AAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW How sweet!!! I got my babies from MyPetChicken at the end of August. They have grown soooo much. I ordered the bantam mixture, and got 2 extra ones. Still trying to figure out what breed they are. I will try to post some updated pics of my babies soon.

Welcome to the forum, It really is a GREAT place to learn all about chickens. The people here are really GREAT too, always very helpful to us newbies:)

Have a Great day!!!
    Nichole

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I want to say they are gold sexlinks...which are the same as red stars and so on. They could also be buff orps if they have white legs... i think.

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

They are sweet little red sex link girls! A little variation is normal, the striped one will probably have darker coloring as an adult but the are certainly sex-link girls.

Sooo Cute! [​IMG]

6. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    It appears to be 2 red star pullets.
    Pullets have a reddish tint to them, some more than others, and roos are white at hatch.

Here's a pic of some golden buff pullets from Meyer Hatchery,which to my understanding are sex links
    Notice the white wing feathers

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of my Red Star pullets
    somewhere around 4-5 months old

[​IMG]

And a close up

[​IMG]

And a Red Star roo, 4-5 months

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!!

7. TurtleChick

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    thanks, guys - for the welcomes and the info!

i also emailed the photos to my pet chicken, and she confirmed that i got what i ordered - so they must both be lovely little red star ladies.

i feel so much better to hear it from you all, too!

[​IMG]

i love this forum......

now just cross your fingers with me that the ee and the rir are girlies, too!!! 3 of 4 have names now - rir is "rosalita", ee is "turtle", lighter red star is "lellow" and last red star remains nameless.... hubby was lobbying for "goober" but i used veto power.................

8. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Red Star Sex Link girls.
    Here is a pic of some of mine as babies. There are other breeds in there too, but all the yellow/reddish tint ones are Red Stars.
    [​IMG]

Here are some at 5 months old. Some are darker than others.
    [​IMG]

Jean

10. TurtleChick

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    wow! thanks!!! it's a relief to see some that look like mine!

[​IMG]

thanks all...

and the name game continues - now he wants to name her "kung pao"... which may be okay if i call her "powey" or something WAY more cutsie. hah!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by