identify these chicken breeds and genders please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickeneer45, Sep 30, 2012.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    i have seven chickens now. i dont know what kinds they are. one is the mama of four of the babies which are around 3 months old although i m not completely how old any of them are. i dont know the genders of any of the babies: there are two white ones, one black one, and one gray one. the mama is black. the two others are nonrelated. they are both brownish: one chicken and one rooster. i hope that ya'll can find out the gender of the four babies and the types of all of them especially the mama. and maybe even some of their ages especially the brown ones:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is the brown female

[​IMG]
    this is the brownish male
    (i got these two together-- probably the same breed)

[​IMG]
    mama chicken is the black one in the front
    [​IMG]
    another picture of mama
    [​IMG]
    Mama's head (she has feather on her feet and so do her babies)

[​IMG]
    here is baby black chicken's body (she has no red on her/his face so i m almost positive she/he is a girl-- she/he kinda looks like a pigeon to me)
    [​IMG]
    baby black chicken again (absolutely NO red on face)

[​IMG]
    this is gray baby-- has flat red on face (isnt ridgy like one of the white chicken babies you will see)
    [​IMG]
    gray baby again
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    blurrier shot of gray baby

[​IMG]
    these are the two white ones, as you can see, the one on the right has a distinct ridgy thing on his face but the other one has a flat red thing but it is not as prominent (like the gray one's)
    [​IMG]
    this is the ridgy one ( i call him probe)
    [​IMG]
    here is the pair froma different angle
    [​IMG]
    their butts
    [​IMG]
    ridgy one (probe) is the one closer
    [​IMG]
    here is no ridge white baby chicken
    [​IMG]
    no ridge again

any insight as to gender, breed, and age would be extremely appreciated! sorry for some of the darker pictures... any help would be fantastic!!!
    -chickeneer45

2. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    You have some interesting mixes!

So the two brown ones - I think they look like brown leghorns. The mama looks mostly like a barred cochin... except for that adorable crest. I'm not super familiar with crested breeds, but maybe she has some polish or orloff in her? Or if you live in the UK, I think that araucanas have crests there.

As for her chicks...

Depending on age, I think you have either two males and two females or three males and one female. The only one I feel positive about being female is the darker barred one. The lighter barred one looks super male to me. I also think that the white chick with the big comb is definitely male, but the other white chick has a different comb type, so it's hard to tell... still, it's so red that I'd lean towards male if it's really only 3 months old.

Cute flock!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The first 2 are not Leghorns. The combs are too small and the leg color is wrong. They could certainly be brown leghorn mixes. The first could be black sex-link. All your birds are mixed breeds. The "ridges: you mention are their combs. There are several kinds of combs and they will show up in the chicks according to what their parents have, taking into account some complicated genetics of dominant genes, etc. You birds have Silkie in their background somewhere. Do any of them have 5 toes per foot. If so, those have some Silkie genetics.

Black baby is female. Gray baby is male. Probe maybe a boy. The other white one seems female so far.

I think a mixed flock is best! You have all mutts. Beautiful mutts.

[​IMG]

4. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    thanks so much for your help, at what age do you think i could be definitely sure as to which genders they are?

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Another month and you'll know for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by