Identify this new chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gisselle, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Gisselle

Gisselle In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2018
    E2489D58-654D-4A20-BA23-2CF660699818.jpeg 1C124791-1FAF-4CA4-B8D3-72E1522867EC.jpeg Hi!
    This spring we’ve been raising some standard common breeds (Orpington, barred rock, ameraucana, Minorca) and just the other day got three newly hatched day old Silkie chickens that our local feed store were kind enough to order for us!

We requested a gray, black and a white silkie. They definitely got us one black and one white silkie but the gray... I’m not so sure if it’s even a true purebred silkie!

It lacks the beard and five toes (one of the silkie chicks looks to have almost grown a sixth toe in the back) and the coloring of the chick is not what I see when I’ve looked up pictures of gray silkie chicks. The closest I’ve see are the ‘silver partridge’ silkie chicks.

Please let me know what y’all think!
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

Alexandra33 likes this.
  2. stargraham

stargraham In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    I think it's a gold laced wyandotte, very sweet breed, and the feathers on the legs add the kochen to the name, so a kochen, gold laced wynedotte, I'm going off of baby pics from the mypetchicken.com site,,,have fun

nerfworthy likes this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hatchery grade silkie....color TBD

The chick shown is neither of those, nor a combination of the two.

Alexandra33 likes this.
  4. stargraham

Aug 24, 2016

5. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    I think you might be right. That's the closest I could find :)

6. stargraham

Aug 24, 2016
    how about light brown leghorns, I'm looking at mypetchicken.com baby chick site, they should have the word chipmonk in their name, that's what I thought the first time I saw ours, Star in Texas

7. stargraham

Aug 24, 2016
    Or a light brown leghorn kochen.....check out the mypetchicken site, she's really smart!!! Star in Texas

8. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

X2. :) Definitely a Silkie. Dark skin, feathered legs, ect.

~Alex

stargraham likes this.
  9. morganalefae

morganalefae Head nut at the nut house

May 2, 2017
    Leicestershire UK
    I have a silkie brahma cross she has 6 toes on one foot and 7 toes on the other yes I even counted 6 times to make sure I was right lol. cute chicks very cute but uh...why does the one look like it has green dry on it?

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Chicks are marked at the hatchery using this method for easy identification at receipt. Generally only done if requested by the ordered. As the op requested specific colors they were likely marked to be sorted from the rest of the order

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: