Identify This Snake!! [pics]

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DuckFanatic, Aug 7, 2009.

1. DuckFanatic

DuckFanatic Songster

Jun 15, 2009
    AZ
    I lifted up the duck pool to dump it, looking to see if there was and big bugs to throw to the chickens. I didn't see anything until I turned and fast movement caught my eye. I turned around to see what I thought was a big worm and was in a state of chock when I realized this was no worm at all.. but a SNAKE!! So as quickly as I could, I got the feisty little guy contained and took some quick pics. If the pics don't show it well, it is green with a yellow stripe along it's back and black spots. It is pretty small, but feisty! Before I let it go (far away), i'd like to know what it is. I am thinking it is poisonous because of it's bright colors? Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. RoosterMania

RoosterMania In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Blackshear
    Looks like a garter snake to me. Highly NON-venomous. Great eater of grasshoppers and frogs.

3. Yep, its a garter snake. Lovely little fella's. I am still scared of him, but they are great to have around.

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Songster

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I've read that they will even eat the venonmous snakes.

5. Joecola123

Joecola123 In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    idk wat it is dosnt look like the garter snakes here in PA mine are black with one yellow stripe. I would just be careful anyways.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  6. I'm with Joe.....don't look like any garter snakes we have either. PLUS, the head is much larger than the body and diamond shaped. I cant say for certain what it is, but, I'd be very careful with it....and I ain't afraid of snakes!!!

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

has an AWFULLY wide/big head for any garter snake I've ever seen... [​IMG] The garter snakes here are only 1 to 2' long, maximum, and heads are not much wider than the body. I'd err on the side of caution, just in case... [​IMG]

8. Cara

Cara Songster

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I'm no herpetologist, but the shape of the head and body is an awful lot like our rattlesnakes. No rattles though.

Please don't try and relocate a snake unless you're certain of the species, we'd hate for you to get bitten!

9. Cara

Cara Songster

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: