Identify this weed/Can my chickens eat it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ERnoleGuy, Oct 21, 2009.

1. ERnoleGuy

ERnoleGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    My chickens love most any grass clippings, weeds, etc that they can get their beaks on. And I know that often times, they don't know what is and isn't good for them. There is this vine like weed that grows on everything here(fences, other plants, trees, chicken wire, ground, etc) that is very prolific. It has these bright orange soft, fleshy seed pods with these bright red seeds inside... with some gooey red stuff. Does anyone know what this plant/weed is called? And if it is poisonous or edible? Here is a picture of one of the seed pods that is still green before turning orange, one that is orange, and then some of the leaves from the weed itself, growing on a chain link fence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was really windy today when I was taking pics so it was hard to get a good focused one.

2. tuffolbird

tuffolbird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
  3. ERnoleGuy

ERnoleGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    That does appear to be it. Thanks so much for the info. It looks to be a very interesting plant/fruit. I've grown up with these all my life here in St. Pete, FL (growing invasively on everything in my back yard) and never had any idea that people actually eat certain varieties of these & that they have all those medicinal benefits. So cool. Now I won't have to be worried if the chickens decide to try them someday. Like you said though, they probably don't taste very good. After all, they are called a "bitter" melon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by