Identify Tractor Supply Chickens

beek15853

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 15, 2009
I bought these chickens at the Tractor Supply and would like to know the breed (two of them are all brown, some are white, some are white with brown speckles) and MOST IMPORTANTLY the sex. I cannot have roos in town, so I need to find a home for the boys before they find their voices. I am assuming that the ones with the longer combs and the hangy down things under their beaks are the males, but I've been known to be wrong before!

Oh...One more quick question. I have someone that has Araucanas (or at least the chickens lay blue/teal eggs) that they want to give me. Will the new chickens and the Tractor Supply chickens get along?

Thank you for your help.
Joe
chickens.jpg

The brown ones are Rhode Island Reds, the white ones are white plymouth rocks, and the white with brown speckles are Amber sex-links (also known as Ambr-links).

The plymouth rock in front is a rooster, and the RIR in the back looks roo-ish. The rest look to be hens.

Last edited:
So am I right that the longer combs and thingys under the beak mean that they are males?

Hens also grow combs and wattles (the hangy-down things under their beaks). I didn't know that at first, myself, and was horrified when all mine started growing combs. Oh NO, not all roosters!

Luckily, I learned better. Some breeds have very prominent combs even for hens. It looks to me like you have only two roosters, but I could be wrong.

And yes, by all means, take the offered chickens!

Just understand you should quarantine them for 30 days, first, away from your current flock. Then when you add them together, there will be some pecking and squawking and chasing whilst a new pecking order is established.

Good luck! Enjoy your flock!!

Back
Top Bottom