Identify type and sex help needed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by glochis, Nov 14, 2013.

1. glochis

glochis Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    In August we were given 4 ducks, 3 white with black spots and 1 grey/black/white. They have doubled in size since then. Two of the whites are larger and heavy, one white and the grey/black/white are smaller and can fly very well. They make very little noise and I don't see any curly tail feathers. They also have not laid any eggs. So now I wonder, am I feeding drakes or hens? I assume they are a cross of some sort would that be correct? Any help would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    They are Muscovy. The black on the heads should go away on the whites, it is permissible in young birds. They look like two white males, a white female and a black female. They look pure to me.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. glochis

May 13, 2008
    Will it be okay to keep them all together? I have no experience with ducks, only chickens.

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    You mean keep all 4 ducks together? Of course! Unless of course, things change and they start fighting. The only thing I'd worry about would be if the bigger ducks fought with or prevented the little one from eating. But from the pic they look fine. Keep an eye out tho.

5. glochis

May 13, 2008
    Thanks for the help. Two roosters would fight and I was afraid 2 drakes would also.

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I agree, they are all pure muscovy. The 2 larger ones are males, the smaller ones (that can fly well) are females.
    You should be able to keep them all together, however, come mating time (spring for most) you may have to separate the males, get rid of one, or get more females. 1 to 1 ratio of this breed doesn't usually work as the hens are known to be VERY broody. This means that if 1 decides to sit on a nest, the remaining duck will get over-bred. Or if they both sit, then the males will likely try to breed with them on the nest which can result in broken eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by