1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Identify Us

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Boosh, May 5, 2009.

1. Boosh

Boosh New Egg

May 5, 2009
    Hey everyone,

Been browsing the forums for a few days and decided i'd post my chicks up here. I picked up 6 bantam chicks recently in Portland, OR and they are about 4 weeks old.

I wanted to confirm their breeds with you all and possibly sex, if anyone can tell this early.

2 of them are buff brahmas, 2 of them are black rosecombs, and 2 are supposed to be araucanas but i'm not sure about this due to the tails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buff Brahma 1:
    [​IMG]

Buff Brahma 2:
    [​IMG]

Black Rosecomb 1:
    [​IMG]

Black Rosecomb 2:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your input,
    Tom

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Your Buff Brahma is a Gold Laced Cochin, looks like. You don't have any Brahmas in there. And the first two are Easter Eggers.

3. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I agree with her choices on those also.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here is a Buff Brahma pullet chick:
    [​IMG]

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    The first 2 look like EE's and yes I concure with Speckledhen, Cochins on the "Buff Brahmas"

6. Boosh

Boosh New Egg

May 5, 2009
    yeah, the buff brahma looks a little bit different.

The easter eggers are definitely my favorite. They have the most personality and love to be held. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that they aren't roos.

Thanks everyone, a noob appreciates it [​IMG] Time to do a little research on the different breeds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by