Identifying a "baby rooster"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Caligirl2, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Caligirl2

Caligirl2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Temecula, So Cali
    Hello Friends, I'm brand new to all this and am raising my very first chicks now - have six Ameracaunas and two RIR's. They are about three weeks old. One of the Ameracauna chicks seems different than the others and just curious if he's a rooster. Not urgent as time will tell but I did wonder if you can take a guess at this age. He is a bit larger than the rest, kind of a maniac, and is the only one that jumps on top of the water feeder and spends a lot of time there. No wattles at this point. Its tail feathers look similar to the others'. No pic because there's not much to see at this point... thanks for your thoughts. [​IMG]
    S

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC! "She" may be a rooster, but she also may be just a dominate pullet.
    Pics would help, but I think you'll have to post like 20 times before you can post pics!
    [​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

We'll need photos to tell for sure. I've had mean, feisty pullets, and mean, feisty cockerels. Temperament is not a very good indicator. In a couple more weeks, you should be able to tell more definitely what "it" is.

4. Caligirl2

Caligirl2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Temecula, So Cali
    That makes sense thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by