Identifying a rescued chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fancychick1, Jun 2, 2016.

1. fancychick1

fancychick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2014
    Oak Grove, KY
    My husband brought this young chicken home to me the other day. He was at the gas station and a lady was trying to give this little girl away to the Amish and they didn't want it so he said he would take it. The rest of her flock had been killed by a dog and she didn't want to raise chickens anymore. I don't know what breed she is or how old but she is young because she still peeps and she is a pullet that I can tell.

2. fancychick1

Jun 23, 2014
    Oak Grove, KY
    Sorry I'm having trouble with the pic.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  4. fancychick1

Jun 23, 2014
    Oak Grove, KY
    [​IMG]

5. fancychick1

Jun 23, 2014
    Oak Grove, KY
    I finally got the picture I had to go to my computer to get it. I used to upload them from my iphone just fine but i have a galaxy now and it just wouldnt work.

6. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I think it is a Buff Orpington.

7. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Does it have puffy cheeks?

8. fancychick1

Jun 23, 2014
    Oak Grove, KY
    no her cheeks aren't puffy
    she's really friendly, it's not real important to find out what she is because I will take care of her right along with all my others she is just the only one of her breed in my yard. I have a mixed flock and right now I am keeping her with my silkies because of her age and size. My bigger and older chickens and turkeys were picking on her and she didnt have a friend to hang with but my silkies have excepted her and she seems to be happy.

9. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I'm glad she is fitting in some place, that was very kind of you (and your husband) to take her in. Since no puffy cheeks then I would say Buff Orpington looks like the closet match.

10. fancychick1

Jun 23, 2014
    Oak Grove, KY
    Thank you for your help maybe next year I can add some of her breed to my flock. I really dont need any more chickens but I have caught the chicken bug and cant help myself I started 3years ago with 7 chickens and 3 ducks and I now have a flock that consist of 9 ducks 6 turkeys and 47 chickens. They are all free range and are part of the family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by