1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

identifying chicks and SLW sex link question?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SLWyandotte, Mar 9, 2011.

1. SLWyandotte

SLWyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Chatom, Alabama
    well i have 25 silvered laced wyandotte chicks that i can't really tell apart. will fingernail polish on a toe hurt them? or maybe food coloring on a toe? i can pretty much give each a "toe code" to tell each of them apart with only 2 toes colored if it won't hurt them.

also i have 2 basic types of chicks. some have white neck, breast, and wings. they tend to be more aggressive and will rush each other and see who is taller. i'm guessing these are the roos. the others are all duller colored. they seem less aggressive. i haven't seen them do the hight contest thing either. i'm guessing these are the hens. if anyone knows if i'm just being self deluding let me know. also should i post this question in the what am i forum?

2. SLWyandotte

SLWyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Chatom, Alabama
    hmmm no advice or am i just starting to kill my own threads?

3. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    The toenail polish is ok but don't think it will last long. Checking to see who is taller, ya the little roos [​IMG]

4. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I was told that nail polish on the toes/feet would become a pecking target for the others so I don't know if that would be a good idea.

I have heard of people putting food coloring on the top of the chicks' heads though, that sounds safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by