Identifying Chicks

Discussion in 'Quail' started by teradragon, Dec 18, 2013.

1. teradragon

teradragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi All.

What is the best way to identify a chick? I don't have any rings for their legs. Can I mark them with something? Like felt tip pen? Not sure if this is a totally stupid question or not, so sorry if it is stupid,

I have one noisy chick in particular and I want to keep an eye on it is all.

Thanks a lot.

[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    some people use elect. zip ties. they come in different colors. make sure you cut the end off close so it wont get pulled and tighten up too much and watch as the chicks grow it doesnt get to tight

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Most people wait until they are around two months and fully grown to zip tie them so they don't have to worry about the legs growing and getting cut off by the ties.

Those chicks are cold (unless you put them a pile for the picture) they should be kind of evenly spread out around the bator. You want your brooder to be around 95-97 if you can swing it.

4. teradragon

I don't think the ones I have will be small enough for these quail just yet. Might have to do it in a week or so when they are a bit bigger.

So no glittery nail varnish for it then? [​IMG]

5. teradragon

They had just gone in the brooder when I took the pic. They are all over the place pecking and everything now. So cute when you tap something and they copy!

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

It is cute, and its really useful when you have that stubborn little guy who wont eat or drink until you show him.

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    ha !! i thought they were chickens.lol[​IMG]

8. teradragon

hehe, there are no size markers in the picture to be fair. Is there a special name for baby quail? Perhaps we should call them quaillets!

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have heard people call them chooks???

10. josand

josand Out Of The Brooder

Love it!! Quailets. Perfect [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by