Identifying individual keets?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by allidew2, Jul 30, 2011.

1. allidew2

allidew2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Upstate South Carolina
    How can you tell which keet is which, and not overlook one, when you are trying to handle each one several times a day? Also, when you begin to let them outside of the run for the first time, you are supposed to let one or two out at a time, and let different ones out the next time. So, is there a way to tag or mark them to tell them apart?

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Good luck!
    I can only tell by size and color and when I have so many they really throw me off.
    I have used permanent marker on my baby chicks or ducklings heads (never red!) and that works but I have not tried it on keets. I can usually tell which ones I have picked up and kissed on because those definitely are spastic after I put them back in the brooder cage. And they are usually the ones going "Ick! Gag! Phlooey!"[​IMG]

3. allidew2

allidew2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Upstate South Carolina
    [​IMG] I'll watch for them to do that!

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I use neon colored zip ties to band my keets legs. I put them on loose, but not loose enough so they slip over the foot and come off (trim off the extra of course). I keep track of them as the keets grow and replace with looser zip ties before they start getting snug. If I run out of colors, then I put 2 zip ties (of different colors) per bird so I can still tell everyone apart. Never had any issues, been doing this for yrs.

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:And the LIPSTICK prints..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] I am going to do Peeps technique of zip ties. I cant do the taming part but I am hoping to condition them to come in when I call dinner. I finally have my 41 up at my place in the desert... Yay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by