Identifying my new flock!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LoriAS, Apr 8, 2009.

1. LoriAS

LoriAS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    I have acquired an adult flock of hens in the last couple of weeks. I have been attempting to identify the breeds. Any help/confirmation would be appreciated.

I believe I have Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks and Americanas (Oh, and I think some of the ones in the first pic are Black Astralorps). They are all supposed to be hens...but when checking the eggs today...the eggs are fertile... so if you could identify my sleeper Roo in the mix that would be great also!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I almost missed this one, but hope you can see enough to help ID her.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I think you have some RSL in there. The pics are a tad dark so it's hard to tell. If you've only had them a couple weeks the eggs would still be fertile from the roo they were with before.

3. LoriAS

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    RSL - Red Sex Link?

And I have all the chickens from my friend....so there were none left at his farm. Either I have a roo in there or my SIL...whose coop this is has a roo in her flock and doesn't know it!

4. LoriAS

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    Hens or Roos??

Went to take more pics because checked about 1/2 dozen eggs (they were dropped by my children) and they are all fertile. Now myself and my SIL are trying to find the roo(s) in the bunch!

So any help would be appreciated as we are both inexperienced and have no idea...here are the pics we took this evening...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help IDing sex especially, but breed also!

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    All look like Hens why do you think they are fertile?

6. LoriAS

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    checked eggs when opening them...

they had the bullseye/circular spot (blastoderm) in the yolk.

Now not sure what is going on or who has roos, because we were both sure that all we had were hens.

I'm putting a few in the incubator to double check fertility. Maybe we are wrong.

I can't seem to get a good pic of the fertile yolk or I would post it here as well.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  8. LoriAS

Apr 6, 2009
    New Knoxville, Ohio
    Yes, that is the same post I used to check them.

7 out of 8 were fertile (only one did not have a circle...it was only a small spot!)

My flock was purchased roughly 10 days ago from a farmer that kept them in a coop 24/7. I purchased the entire group of birds he had in the coop. It was rougly 13-15 ( I still don't have a good count).

9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    They all look like hens to me too. Also, I would think that you would hear crowing if you had a hidden rooster.

10. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

Wait until one crows!!! [​IMG] I think the striped one is a Barred Rock but Black Australorps are supposed to have black legs and it's kinda hard too see in the pics but they don't look like dark legs. Maybe the blakc ones are Black Orpingtons or Black Rocks---beautiful flock though!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by