Identifying pullets

maryvdb

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
65915_silver_leghorns_017.jpg

I got these two pullets from our local feed store; they had a mixed batch of young ones. They were supposed to be Silver Leghorns. The one with dark legs is about four weeks older than the one with yellow legs. I had originally got two of the older ones; but one had what I thought were spurs developing; they turned out to be extra toes! (one of the ladies at the feed store has that one now.) They gave me a replacement pullet, which is the yellow-legged one. From what I can find, the Silver Leghorns have yellow legs. We think that the one which I returned might be a Silver-Grey Dorking; which would explain the extra toes; but what is my green-legged pullet? She has been laying for about three weeks now, and her eggs are tiny; they are consistently smaller than banty eggs usually are. Could she be a Phoenix? They are the only thing I've seen described as having the dark legs.Is she some kind of bantam? My laying hens in the past have laid a few small eggs at the beginning and then gone right on to lay big ones in just a few days. We are all scratching our heads over this!

The dark-legged bird has the right body shape for a Leghorn. It sounds like there might have been a mix in that hatch, though. Beautiful birds!

Any chance of a closer pic of the dark-legged bird, maybe showing her comb?

Here's a little closer picture. The dark-legged bird is in the front; you can barely see one very yellow leg on the other one.

Back
Top Bottom