Identifying sex in SLW/BO cross chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1341, Oct 28, 2013.

1. 1341

1341 New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    Oregon
    I read through about a dozen pages, and read and re-read the wonderful thread on genetics. Please forgive my inability to comprehend it, and forgive me if this has been asked a million times...

I'm just trying to find out if the offspring of chicks from an SLW roo + BO hen would be sexlinked, and if so, are the lady chickies the light chicks, or the black chicks?

Again, I am sorry to ask a question that has probably been beaten to death.

Also, if anyone has photos of this particular cross, I would LOVE to see it. It seems that there are quite a lot of crosses where the roo is the BO, but if I am comprehending the sexlink thread correctly, then the roo makes a good bit of difference, and my roo is the Silver Laced Wyandotte.

I am wanting to give a few of the chicks to some friends in the city, but being city folks, they can't have a roo, so I am hoping they might indeed be identifiable by color.

Thank you!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nope, no sexlinkage with the cross you're talking about. Sorry, it would be a great way to tell this early! You'll just have to wait for the 6ish week mark, look for larger, redder combs and thicker legs. Remember with the slw breeding, you might get rose or mixed combs, so keep that in mind, they might not all have the large classic straight comb.

3. 1341

1341 New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    Oregon
    Thank you so much for the fast response! This is the first clutch of chicks that we've hatched ourselves, after many years of hatchery birds. After much Googling, and several nights wasted here on BYC, I'm surprised I haven't found anything related to this particular cross, what with how common both breeds are within laying flocks. But daddy is gorgeous, and mama is one of my best layers. She hatched 17 chicks!! Not bad for a first timer!

Again, thank you for the fast reply.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd love to see pics once they feather out. sounds like they should be great layers, with the potential to go broody, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by