Identity and sex please 6 weeks old pic heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bowen Mt Chicken, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    there are 14 chicks altogether, the little black silkie adopted them when they were 3 weeks old, she sleeps in with them spreading her wings over some of them, they are almost s big as her now and most will be looking for new homes, we will keep a couple ee's and depending on their breed we are looking for welsummers and barnevelders, pics are as below, we were given some brown leghorn eggs as well, I just can't tell the difference between them and the welsummers, also if anyone can tell their sex would be great, I think the first one is a boy, you will see why

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

the blck and white where i cant see the front of it loos aracana or exhecater leghorn.(cant spell) first few look like golden laced something. have no idea on others

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the first one and the brown /black sitting with the black/ white look like roos

4. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I think pics 1 & 2 could go either way but I guess the comb isn't really large so i'll say pullet and possibly golden-laced wyandotte, pics 3,4,5, & 6 look like EE pullets, pic 7 looks like a roo in the back and maybe an EE, and pic 8 looks like a pullet and i'm not sure about breed.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Are these all different chicks or are there some different pictures of the same chicks? Labeling would be helpful.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not familiar with any of these breeds, just exercising the knowledge I've gained.

If the breeds you mentioned were the only possibilities, I'd say the first is a roo, probably barnevelder; is the chick in the pic with the B&W the same or different? Also looks like a potential barnevelder cockerel.

Not sure on the wellies/leghorns... welsummers will have red earlobes and leghorns will be white. I'm not sure if one is yellow skinned vs white skinned. Google Image search turns up both leg colors for both breeds. The adult color is very very similar, but the body shape will be notably different. You may not be able to tell the difference for another ~6wks until earlobes come in, or maybe your leghorns will start growing their combs earlier (both male & female have huge floppy combs at maturity, so don't go throwing any of those in the freezer before you have good evidence for roos). Good luck!

The white looks like a breed standard ameraucana pullet (someone correct me if I'm wrong) - KEEP HER!!! There is no green in those legs. She should lay a beautiful blue egg.

6. BlazeJester

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Quote:Wyandotte is not an option here. Of the possibilities, barnevelders are penciled so that chick is probably a barnevelder.

7. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Thank you, the top photo and the the one one with the 2 in it are the same chick, it's very sneaky, the rest are different chicks, all the others kept escaping or running under the coop and hiding there, will have to try and get them all separate, will keep the brown one until i can tell, thanks about the little white one, it's name is snow and we are hoping to keep her if she is in fact a she, my son has his heart set on one of the little brown ones, he dropped her/him when it was a baby and needed a splint on it's leg, he name it "Limps a Lot", it's quite a friendly little chicken, her photo's wouldn't upload though, will try later, it looks like there are only 2 barnevelders in there the 1st one and the second one are the 2 different ones, there are 6 brown ones in total.

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The lighter brown ones look like Welsummer pullets. The top darker, brown bird could be a Welsummer rooster.

[​IMG]

9. BlazeJester

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Quote:TOO CUTE!!! [​IMG]

10. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I think you barnie is a roo.
    Leghorns are supposed to have yellow legs and white earlobes. Their leg color changes some while they are young, but they are all pullets, so it would be a good idea to hold onto them until they are 3 months old so you can tell them apart, if you can.
    Your black/white chick looks like an ancona or exchequer leghorn pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by