Identiying Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clementine123, Mar 16, 2013.

1. clementine123

clementine123 New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    I`m getting some new chicks in late april and wanted to be able to identify them because they will all be the same breed. I was thinking about those bracelet type things that you put on their legs, but my mother said no. so do you guys have any other suggestions? Thank you.

2. I am confused. You want to be able to tell them apart by name? I had the same problem with my 2 black Australorps. Try to find things different like comb shapes or beak color and stuff like that.
    Good Luck!

3. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I used pipe cleaners that way I can adjust them or remove them really quick and easy.

4. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    i just took a sharpie and scribbled on their legs differently for each chicken. it rubs off so i did it about once a weak until their feathers and combs came. then its easy to tell them apart

5. SD Bird Lady

The feed store uses a grease stick/pen (used on cattle/pigs) to mark their heads.

6. clementine123

clementine123 New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to use the pipe cleaner idea, once I get the chicks I'll post some pictures of the wearing their new bracelets! :)

7. SD Bird Lady

Don't use red...they will peck at it more. Or so they say I just never tried I got neon colors just for fun :)

8. clementine123

clementine123 New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Haha I'll probably get pink, purple and all those girly colours :)

9. Boydfarm1

Boydfarm1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Liberty Hill Texas
    I found some plastic rubberbands in the hair stuff section at Walmart, there are 3 different sizes and all different colors, I put the smallest ones on my chicks, I have found 2 or 3 on the ground under brooder though, but the were $3 something. The pipe cleaners are a great idea.

10. dixieanne14

dixieanne14 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Indiana
    I used small rubber bands from my daughters hair collection haha works well for now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by