IDing 1 week old hatchery breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by timandamy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. timandamy

timandamy In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    South Carolina
    Hi! I'm a first time chick mommy and we ordered a brown egg layer assortment from Meyer. I had no idea how hard it would be to figure out what breeds the birds are! I'm going to post some pictures and please tell me if you think you know what they might be or if you need more information that my pictures do not provide. We also ordered 3 EE's in addition to the brown egg layer assortment. I'm not going to post an individual pic of each bird, but just trying to get started figuring them out!

In Meyer's brown egg layer assortment, the possibilities are any of the following: Golden Buff, Black Star, Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, White Rock, Barred Rock, Partridge, Rhode Island Red, Delaware, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Buckeye, Black Jersey Giant, Spleckled Sussex, Cuckoo Maran, Welsummer, Dominique or Silver Laced Wyandotte.

Here are two shots of the same chick. Is the one who is starting to feather out white, right behind this guy, maybe a White Rock? We have several that look like that one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A shot with several of them in it. I really am curious about this grey one up front, but can't get a good shot of him/her. Will have to go try again in a while! There are two like that, and they both have very dark legs.

[​IMG]

A chipmunky one.

[​IMG]

A red one.

[​IMG]

Another red with good visibility of the wing feathers coming in.

[​IMG]

There are others, but I can't get good pictures of them. I'll try again later! Any of your input is welcome! Thanks a bunch!!

2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    The First is a barred rock. The chipmunk one is a welsummer. The Red one is a Rhode Island Red. The white one is a buff orpington. The Black one behind the chipmunk one in the 3rd pic is a Black Australorp. Those two gray chicks might be Blue Jersey Giants, I think Meyer has those.

3. timandamy

timandamy In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    South Carolina
    Thanks!!! [​IMG]

4. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Your Welcome!

5. timandamy

timandamy In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    South Carolina
    Hi again! I finally got some additional pictures that might help ID the chicks.

Here are a few more of the gray ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a black one with some bits of white. Is this the one that was thougth to be an Austrolorp in the OP?

[​IMG]

I'm thinking this one might be one of the EE's. The legs look green to me, but I'm no expert!

[​IMG]

There's one that is kind of gray/white/yellow, pictured first with one of the mystery smoky gray ones, then alone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly, there are two that are kind of a peachy color. I tried to get pics with the ones previously ID'd as BO's in order to show the contrast. In the first pic, it's the only one who you can see fully, beside two RIR's (I think) and one BO. And in the second one, it's the one on the bottom right that I'm trying to ID.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all of your help!!

6. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Picture #2, the black with a white spot on its head and grey legs, is a dominique

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Your Barred rock is a rooster !! [​IMG]

8. timandamy

timandamy In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    South Carolina
    Thanks! We ordered mostly straight run, so we're expecting some roos! [​IMG]

9. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    The yellow chicks with yellow legs would be White Rocks. The yellow chick with the green legs is an Easter Egger, mine looked just like that and looks like this now:
    [​IMG]
    I think some of your chipmunky ones are EEs as well, though a lot of other breeds start out that way too.

The reddish ones look a lot like my Red Stars as babies from what i can tell, but it looks from the photo like maybe they have grey on them? If so then they're something else.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  10. timandamy

timandamy In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    South Carolina
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing the pic of yours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: