ID'ing Mixed breed chicks (possibly BSL) Newbie with lots of questions!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by anthrogirl, Sep 15, 2016.

1. anthrogirl

anthrogirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2016
    Fresno CA
    Hi, We just hatched some chicks from fertilized eggs that came free with our last hen and we're having fun trying to figure out what breed mix they are.

The owner had 2 roosters, one Wellsummer, one Americana mix and several breeds of hen that were laying , Black Jersey Giants, Red Mixes, Barred Rocks and some brown/black/gold hens she said were Australorps but I think they may have been golden laced golden laced wyandottes or a cross of them.

I've been trying to read up on chicken crosses, but I'm still a bit confused, I think we could eliminate the Americana mix as the dad since they would have ear muffs then?
    they seem to look like BSL chicks, which if I'm reading the information correctly, could come from a barred rock hen with a Wellsummer Roo?

do Jersey Giant chicks grow faster then usual chicks? (Pip seems to be growing a lot faster then Shelly, but it's hard to tell since they hatched 3 days apart)

The only thing we know for sure is that they're mixed :)

Here's our most current pictures of them:

Shelly (4 days old) it's hard to see in the picture, but she/he has almost all black feet with one yellow middle toe on each foot. the only white spots are it's chest, wingtips and derriere. (probably unfounded, but I have a strong feeling that Shelly is a girl)

[​IMG]

Pip is 1 week old (hatched 2 days earlier then expected!) and his/her adopted Mom, Goldie (she's very proud of 'her' chicks :) )
    Pip seems to have grown faster then Shelly and got feathers much faster. Pip has a good sized white dot on it's head, white on it's chest, all yellow legs, and the feathers that are growing in on the wings look like they're barred black/white.

[​IMG]

2. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State
    If you cross a Barred Rock hen with any rooster, other than white and barred roosters, you create a sex-link. Since the barring is only passed on to sons, Pip is probably a Boy. Sorry. He is adorable though.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Shelly could be a black sex link from the barred Rock momma, or she could be either gender from one of the dark mommas. You'll just have to wait and see.

Pip is male, he's a sex link. With that comb, though, he could have the EE father, or someone else was rose combed?

4. anthrogirl

Sep 11, 2016
    Fresno CA

Thanks, I thought that Pip might be a Roo because of the head dot, hopefully he's a nice one and the no-crow collars work, otherwise he'll have to leave :(
    there were a ton of different hens wandering around so it's quite possibly that there were more breeds I missed (I just listed the ones I could remember) but there was definitely only 2 roosters there.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Shelly is a pullet! (probably another 5 weeks or so till we know though!)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2 donrae

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Pip is a cockerel. Daddy could be Welsummer or Easter Egger, since they are mutts he may not be pure for beard/ear muffs and so not all of his offspring wil necessarily have them.

Shelley could be a pullet or cockerel depending on who her mother was.

7. anthrogirl

Sep 11, 2016
    Fresno CA
    Thought I'd share a few updated pictures (can you tell these are my first hatchlings, Lol, I have far too many pictures of them on my phone :) )

Pip is growing so quickly and his comb is looking huge! (is this much comb growth normal for a 2 1/2 week old?) and I think he might be getting some little ear tufts? (maybe his Dad was the EE mix?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. anthrogirl

Sep 11, 2016
    Fresno CA
    Shelly is growing slower then Pip and her/his tail feathers still haven't emerged even though the wings are feathering in. Shelly is 2 weeks old today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I'm pretty sure that the "Barred Rocks" are actually Dominiques. Doesn't change the fact that he's a male black sexlink, thouhg.

10. anthrogirl

Sep 11, 2016
    Fresno CA
    Ah, that would explain the rose comb! Thanks! I just saw black/white barred hens and assumed they were barred rocks, there is so much to learn about different breeds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by