1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

IDK if my coop is big enough

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moodlymoo, Nov 6, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I have a 10x10x6 coop, 4 nesting boxes, a 10ft 2x4 for the roost, and an enclosed 4x16 run. My flock free ranges most of the day most every day. All my birds are standard LF unless noted. I plan on letting them free range year round really only using the coop for sleeping and on very nasty days. I know I need to add another roost but nobody roosts as is. They range in age from 8wks to 24ish months. Most being about 12-14wks. What should I do? I know I possibly have 1 roo in the coop and 1 roo in the brooder so they will be gone as soon as I am 100% All I can say is DANG CHICKEN MATH

I have...
    1 very large blue laced red wynadotte
    2 8wk blue laced red wynadottes,
    1 bantam cochin frizzle,
    1 porcelain d'uccle,
    1 Barred rock
    1 silver laced cochin
    2 gold laced wynadottes
    1 blue laced wynadotte
    1 silver laced wynadotte
    1 delaware
    1 buff brahma
    1 welsummer
    1 partridge rock
    2 EE's

AND in the brooder for my MIL who changed her mind on having chickens
    1 light brahma
    1 giant black cochin
    2 EE's

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If they don't roost, where do they sleep? I think you definitely have about twice as many chickens as I would have for that size of a coop/run, but since they do free range most of the day, then you might be just fine. I would add another roost. Don't you make them come in at night so you can lock them up?

3. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    They come in on their own every night and I lock them in. The little ones (frizzle, d'uccle, & 2 blrw chicks) sleep together in a cage inside the coop on the floor by choice, the BIG blrw girl sleeps in one corner, and the 12 others split up and sleep in 2 groups. I have tried thousands of times to get them to roost but they refuse. I figured its a lost cause and gave up the fight. If they wanted to roost they could.

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Technically, you could fit more birds in there if you needed--eventually, though, you will need another roost. As long as the run is only used during bad weather, you should be good as long as the time doesnt turn into days/weeks.
    Free-ranging = [​IMG]

5. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    The most time they spent locked in the run/coop was 1 day when I was dealing with a family crisis but they got a few hours out that day when my mom came over. So they should be ok with the potential new kids moving in since my dumb soon to be ex mother in law changed her mind on them? What should I do about the roosting problem? I have tried to put them up over and over at night for 3 weeks but no luck. They roost on the poles in their run but wont inside the coop

6. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I think you're just fine with that space, as others have said, since they're out ost of the time.

As for getting them to roost: Can you try putting something they really wouldn't like to sleep on across the whole floor of the coop, such as an 8 x 10 tarp with garbage bags split & taped to the top? It's shiny & slippery & cold. I had luck using this method to get all my silkies & cochins to roost (in cold weather), but I have to reinforce it now & then. It may work for you.

I also wonder what you have for them to roost on in the coop that they don't want to use. Is it a 2 x 4 or some kind of lumber? Is it branches? Mine hate the curvy oak branch I sanded & put in for them, but they love the 2 x 2 x 8 of leftover railing I put in for them. Chickens prefer square, it seems.

7. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Quote:They have a 2x4 in there 2in side up. Someone said to turn it so the 4in flat side is up but then they are not roosting they are standing on a shelf almost. They have 1in round bamboo poles in the run and roost on those just fine but prefer to huddle up together in the coop IDK these girls make me nuts sometimes. I wish I understood chicken logic [​IMG]

8. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    I would turn it on the 4"side up. Mine roost on 1"x4"s and really seem to like the wider roosts. I have no problem with any chickens not roosting on the roosts. I've read that chickens feet don't grasp around round branches like other birds do when they sleep so they actually prefer to roost on a "shelf like" roost. I don't know, it works for mine. [​IMG] Good luck!

9. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    Quote:dont worry about them not roosting my big girls dont like to either,

the Bo i have sleep in the floor huddled ina corner, i was told many times they dont roost when i got them and a few farmers i got new warrens from recently said the same, the warrrens will roost but larger birds wont !

and that is just how my coop has turned out

the warrens and the barnevelder are roosting and the bo ont he floor !

10. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Some birds prefer to roost and others do not.

It took my Polish birds months before they decided they wanted to roost like everyone else.

My Silkies still do not roost, so I provided them with a box on the floor in the corner of the coop.

They all huddle together inside the box at night.

My Silkie rooster makes sure all the girls are inside the box before he tucks his big butt inside. (It's funny to watch.)

Enjoy watching your chickens and spend less time worrying about them; they know what they want.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by