Idk if these eggs should be put in the Incubator?

Wonder Quails

Songster
Oct 22, 2022
Hi!
Today, I found 2 duck eggs that was in a little cup alone in my fridge. I have no idea how long it has been sitting or if it's fertile. I cracked one open and it had a dot and a white ring(fertile). I think I should incubate the other one. But, I would have to get another hot water bottle since I don't have an incubator(yet). Should I incubate it for now?
Thanks! :D

Hi!
Today, I found 2 duck eggs that was in a little cup alone in my fridge. I have no idea how long it has been sitting or if it's fertile. I cracked one open and it had a dot and a white ring(fertile). I think I should incubate the other one. But, I would have to get another hot water bottle since I don't have an incubator(yet). Should I incubate it for now?

I don't think this is a good idea.

First, you can get some horrible deformities from improvised incubators that don't hold correct temperatures.

Second, should you manage to hatch a chick that is capable of living, a lone chick would be an unhappy bird. Ducks are flock animals who need companions.

Hi!
I agree with the first poster.. and think it's a terrible idea. Those duck eggs should be eaten.. and use fresh unrefridgerated eggs if any real hatching is desired. And always more than one, for already stated reasons.

How big is the air cell in the duck egg now? This MIGHT help tell how old the egg is.. and is the only time the float test tells you anything (how much evaporation or gas exchange has taken place). Though I would use a flashlight not a "water candle". How will you maintain humidity with a hot water bottle? These are questions to help you, not detour or derail you.

Hatching adventures are FAR more enjoyable with proper planning.. including collection and storage of eggs.

Regardless of good feedback.. many of us will do our own thang.. and that sounds like your intention.

Best wishes! :fl

Hi!
Refrigerated eggs absolutely can hatch, but without knowing how long it's been sitting in there, its hard to know how viable the egg will be.
If you do decide to incubate it, you should wait for an incubator, by the time you have one, its even less likely to be viable but starting it with hot water bottles isn't a good idea for lots of reasons-- better safe than sorry! I think thats your only shot with it. Why dont you get some fresh eggs to try with once you have an incubator? It would be a much more enjoyable experience, with less risk of heartbreak!

Back
Top Bottom