If 2 are roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jerseycoop, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi I bought 7 chicks back in may and a little concerned that 2 may be roosters. Although I can have roosters I can't keep them because my neighbors wouldn't be happy with crowing. How do you go about rehoming them? Thanks for any help.

2. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Unwanted roosters find a home on my grill. [​IMG]

Okay, I'm guessing that's not an option for you (although for the life of me, I'll never understand why some people refuse to eat their own poultry). You might try giving them away on craigslist, I see this all the time.

-S

3. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    A lot of folks just post em on Craigslist.

4. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    I've been wanting a rooster, but sadly I live in Idaho...

5. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Wish you were close by 1 is a RIR and 1 is a light brahma

6. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Thanks I'll take a look into it [​IMG]

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY

Okay, I'm guessing that's not an option for you (although for the life of me, I'll never understand why some people refuse to eat their own poultry). You might try giving them away on craigslist, I see this all the time.

-S

[​IMG] I like your thinking [​IMG]

8. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey

-S

[​IMG] I like your thinking [​IMG]

I think because some have a small amount of chickens they raise and they become pets. Some may not have the heart to eat their pet. People get chickens for different reasons. Mine was clear from the beginning, a learning experience for my children, to raise a small flock of chickens for eggs. I think culling a pet that my children have come to love would be a traumatic experience for them given the fact that they are so young. Just my feeling on it..nothing personally.

9. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Craigs List or freezer camp.

10. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:[​IMG] I like your thinking [​IMG]

I think because some have a small amount of chickens they raise and they become pets. Some may not have the heart to eat their pet. People get chickens for different reasons. Mine was clear from the beginning, a learning experience for my children, to raise a small flock of chickens for eggs. I think culling a pet that my children have come to love would be a traumatic experience for them given the fact that they are so young. Just my feeling on it..nothing personally.

I know...you are right,but even with small flocks the need tends to arise to either rehome or butcher.It definitely depends on each individuals situation.I find myself in a situation as well right now with extra bantam roos...darn those cute little guys! but they are so small,I hardly feel it's worth it to butcher so CL it is *sigh*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by