If a broody hens hatches her eggs do i brood the chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 50+Buff_Orphingtons, Nov 28, 2011.

1. 50+Buff_Orphingtons

50+Buff_Orphingtons Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2010
    Woods, KS
    Should I take away the chicks of let her raise them if she were to hatch some eggs?

2. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    My Buff Orpington hatched 6 chicks 4 weeks ago. I have them seperated from the other chickens. But she has been the best little momma. She takes really good care of them. I haven't used any heat source. They all get under her even at there size now. It is fun watching her teach them and the different sounds she makes when talking to them. I am glad I chose to leave mine with her !!

3. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

50+Buff_Orphingtons :

Should I take away the chicks of let her raise them if she were to hatch some eggs?

as long as you have a safe place for them let her [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It depends on the hen. In general she will raise them just fine but there are some hens that just arent fit for brooding.

5. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Mine is a Buff Orpington

[​IMG]

6. jh7192

jh7192 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Taneytown MD
    Most hens make wonderful mothers and look after their chicks very well. Let this hen have her chicks and see how she performs. If you think she is doing a good job, stand back. Let her do it.

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    It so much easier to let momma raise her own if she is a good mom. Most of my broodies have been good moms, but my D'anvers wasnt. I had sisters go broody at the same time. They killed 2 of their babies and I had to brood the remaining 3. I have eggs coming that will be shipped out tomorrow. I am hoping one of mine decides its time to have babies again by the time they get here. Will be much easier then cranking up the incubator.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Winter is closing in fast and coyote were grabbing my hens so I opted to brood the chicks. The broody hen stayed on the remaining eggs. hatching a few each day. The hatch was delayed, IMO, because she had too many to manage as other hens kept giving her more!
    So if your broody is in a safe place, free of predators and warm and cozy, letting the broody do her job can be the way to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by