1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

if a chicken goes broody one year what is the chances of it going broody the year after?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Last year i had a hybrid and light sussex go broody, my light sussex got killed a couple of month after stopping being broody but my hybrid is still alive, what are the chances of he being broody this year?

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    All of my broody hens are the same hens that went broody last year.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If she was a good setter and mother, chances are about 99.9999% she'll go broody again....my broodies are always the same hens as well.

4. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Well she was more determined than the light sussex she stayed on the nest for longer

5. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    Broodiness is an inherited trait. That said, when you want a hen to be broody, they're not! I built a broody coop and got chicks, sure that I'd be able to put my always-broody hen to work. Of course, that's when she stopped being broody! But, with her, I think that she finally aged out of it (she's six years old now) and is fully retired from everything, including laying.

6. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    How often do hens go broody? I have one raising 9 of her own babies right now. She went broody at 7 months old and hatched her own babies. Are there tricks to get hens to go broody?

7. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    my experience has been with the game hens going broody...the buff orps only once and never again...the games are faithful I recommend them for every flock..not friendly, skittery, but broody. two went broody at same time and one stole the others hatch, #1 started another hatch and is sitting on them now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by