If a hen is frequintly egg binding...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SarahFair, May 12, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Is it something Im doing, bad genetics, or just a problem shes developed?

She always seems backed up, laying very week eggs, is always swollen...
    I feel bad for her!
    Is this something shes going to have forever? Would it be better to just.....cull her?

My other hen whose always at her side (so is exposed the the same diet and conditions) has no problem laying eggs and I get one about every day from her..

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Have you tried adding extra calcium to her diet via crushed oystershell?

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    How old is the girl having issues? If she's a fairly new layer, it COULD be that she's just getting the kinks out of her system.

4. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    No I have not tried oyster shell..

Shes been laying for close to 5 months now..
    Just as long as her mate

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    They should have free-choice oyster shell. That may help the weak shells, but her being "swollen" is another issue...is she prolapsing, or just generally swollen? If you could get a picture, that might help.

6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Either she is not ready to lay eggs (immature pullets laying eggs too large for their bodies), she is sick (coccidiosis is a big culprit for soft shelled eggs and eggbinding), she has some sort of genetic issues, or it is some sort of nutritional problem. It's most likely a disease or an age problem. Treat for cocci (won't hurt) and try to get her back up to par. Constant egg binding eventualy leads to severe prolapse. Good luck! Hope you can get it under control!

7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Is the lethargic, do you notice red in her poop? If not, she does not have cocci, which presents as blood streaks in poo and lethargy. If she DOES have one or both, treat all in the pen for it. Sulmet works wonders. But, I would personally not treat unless you are very sure that's what it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by